‘Try your vocal chords’ with the Victoria Park Singers who perform at the Proms
- Credit: Victoria Park Singers
A free trial session is being run for would-be choir singers who want to join the prestigious Victoria Park Singers.
The session is on Wednesday evening, January 8, at Lauriston School next to Victoria Park.
It follows the choir's recent concert staged at the historic St Anne's Church in Limehouse which raised a record sum to help run a winter shelter for rough sleepers.
The 100 members made £2,716 at their annual winter concert for Hackney's winter night shelter, with a programme of traditional classics sung to a full house.
"We hope the money makes a real difference to the people using the shelter," musical director Hannah Brine said.
You may also want to watch:
"The night shelter is such an important cause. This is the most we have ever raised at a single concert."
Hannah originally set up Victoria Park Singers partly on the advice of doctors to help people with mental stress who were advised to join. Several choir members actually volunteer in their spare time to help run the shelter.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 7 Lockdown dancing in your own living room goes online from Canary Wharf
- 8 Tower of London's Queen raven feared dead
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Hunt for bogus health worker who gave fake Covid jab to woman of 92
Night shelter trustee Andrea Daniels said: "This will make a huge difference for us to provide a safe place to stay for rough sleepers over the cold winter months."
The choir, which performed at the 2019 BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, rehearses on Wednesday evenings at Lauriston School just north of the park in Rutland Road, off Grove Road.
Victoria Park Singers is open to new members and has a bursary scheme for those in financial difficulties.