Victoria Park named in the top 10 of UK’s green spaces
- Credit: Archant
Victoria Park has been voted one of the top 10 parks in the UK.
The park was one of 10 to win a Green Flag People’s Choice Award, an international quality mark for open spaces.
It was chosen by the public out of 1,800 sites, and is the only one in London to win.
John Biggs, mayor of Tower Hamlets, said: “Victoria Park is a jewel in the crown of Tower Hamlets. While we are an inner city borough, our residents are proud of our amazing open spaces.”
Every year around nine million people visit the park, which at 170-years-old, is London’s oldest.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Todd, a Green Flag Award manager, said: “We know that parks matter to people and that those tasked with looking after them have faced and are facing some significant challenges.
“This award is the public’s way of showing just how much it values its parks and is an acknowledgement to the hard work of the teams that make them such great places.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning