Victorian ship back on Thames after �2m facelift
THE world’s oldest complete steamship has arrived back on the Thames after its �2 million repairs.
The SS Robin was taken from its Canary Wharf moorings on the Isle of Dogs to make way for construction of Crossrail.
The Victorian coastal steamer, which was being used as a museum and education centre, needed emergency repairs to its leaking hull and a complete refit.
She arrived at Tilbury on the back of a barge after a two-year refit in Lowestoft this week where temporary moorings have been laid on until a permanent quayside site is found.
The Robin, launched in 1890, had been delayed by adverse weather conditions since September 12, but successfully completed the return voyage on Saturday.