Viewpoint: Join growing local and celebrity support for borough culture bid
- Credit: Archant
Tower Hamlets Council have launched their bid to become London’s Borough of Culture in 2019 or 2020.
This scheme is run by the Mayor of London and the winning borough will receive £1.1million to spend on cultural projects and groups in the borough.
If Tower Hamlets win, the council say they would use the money to support the thriving cultural industries in Tower Hamlets and to bring jobs and investment to the borough.
The bid has already received the backing of Dame Helen Mirren and Sir Ian McKellen!
If you would like to support the council’s bid or find out more about the scheme you can do so at thbackthebid.co.uk
On a different matter, I was pleased to second a motion to the London Assembly which addressed the issue of modern day slavery.
You may also want to watch:
We expressed our support for the mayor’s plans to recruit a modern day slavery ambassador for every borough.
These crimes are happening both behind closed doors and in plain sight across our city, and we need to do more to put a stop to this and protect those who have been victims.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom