Voting underway for the nation’s favourite park — but can Victoria park win again?
- Credit: Archant
Voting is underway to decide the nation’s best loved park — but can Victoria Park claim the top spot yet again?
The 170 year old green space is one of eight in Tower Hamlets in the running for the prestigious title of the People’s Park, as awarded by Green Flag’s People’s Choice Awards.
It saw off competition from 1,424 parks last year to take home the top prize in the annual poll as a place for sport, play and relaxation and has seen a £12million investment boost from the council alongside its booming popularity.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman, said: “We invested heavily in Victoria Park to create an environment that is suitable for everyone to enjoy and feel proud of.
“Our parks and open spaces are a vital part of our community and I am delighted we are up for nomination to be voted as the nation’s favourite park.”
You may also want to watch:
A Chinese pagoda, a new skate park and better sports facilities were all added under the multi-million pound investment.
Cabinet member for culture, Cllr Rania Khan, said: “A lot of hard work from council staff has gone into maintaining our award-winning status for the past few years.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
To vote for Victoria Park, or another park of your choice, visit greenflag.keepbritaintidy.org before voting closes at midday on Tuesday, October 1.
The winner will be announced on October 9.