Fire in Wapping caused by electrical fault, brigade says
- Credit: LFB
A fire which destroyed the ground floor of a house was caused by an electrical fault, investigators say.
Four fire engines and about 25 firefighters were called at 5.30pm to the blaze in Benson Quay, Wapping, on Saturday, August 14.
The ground floor of the end-of-terrace home was destroyed by fire and part of the first floor, external fascia and guttering were also damaged.
A small part of a first-floor balcony at a neighbouring property and a vehicle were also damaged by the flames. There were no reports of any injuries.
The London Fire Brigade’s (LFB) 999 control officers took 19 calls to the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
An LFB spokesperson said: “This incident shows just how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home. There were smoke alarms fitted inside the property which raised the alarm.
“We encourage everyone to have smoke alarms fitted in every room where a fire could start, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen. It's important to test them regularly."
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 4 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 8 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Volunteers patrol streets after Isle of Dogs fatal stabbing
The fire was under control by 6.52pm. Crews from Shadwell, Whitechapel, Dockhead and Dowgate stations attended.
Investigators believe the fire was accidental and caused by an electrical fault.