Wapping housing office to close
Tenants have complained the closure of a housing office in Wapping will have a severe impact on vulnerable residents.
Tower Hamlets Homes is set to close its office in Prusom Street, Wapping today (Thursday September 15).
Those with housing queries will now have to travel to the next nearest office on Commercial Road.
Some are worried disabled and elderly residents, along with pregnant women will suffer under the new proposals.
Robbie Scott, of Ross House in Prusom Street, said tenants were not consulted and given less than a fortnight’s notice of the closure.
He added: “Residents shouldn’t have to travel miles to secure basic services that should be provided without complaint.”
A THH spokeswoman said it runs three other offices in the borough which tenants could use.
- 1 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 6 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 7 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 8 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 9 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 10 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
She added: “It hasn’t been used as a housing office for a while but to run two local housing surgeries each week.
“We’re working with residents to find alternative accommodation in the Wapping neighbourhood to run a local housing surgery.”