Wapping housing office to close
Tenants have complained the closure of a housing office in Wapping will have a severe impact on vulnerable residents.
Tower Hamlets Homes is set to close its office in Prusom Street, Wapping today (Thursday September 15).
Those with housing queries will now have to travel to the next nearest office on Commercial Road.
Some are worried disabled and elderly residents, along with pregnant women will suffer under the new proposals.
Robbie Scott, of Ross House in Prusom Street, said tenants were not consulted and given less than a fortnight’s notice of the closure.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Residents shouldn’t have to travel miles to secure basic services that should be provided without complaint.”
A THH spokeswoman said it runs three other offices in the borough which tenants could use.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
She added: “It hasn’t been used as a housing office for a while but to run two local housing surgeries each week.
“We’re working with residents to find alternative accommodation in the Wapping neighbourhood to run a local housing surgery.”