Wapping housing office to close
Tenants have complained the closure of a housing office in Wapping will have a severe impact on vulnerable residents.
Tower Hamlets Homes is set to close its office in Prusom Street, Wapping today (Thursday September 15).
Those with housing queries will now have to travel to the next nearest office on Commercial Road.
Some are worried disabled and elderly residents, along with pregnant women will suffer under the new proposals.
Robbie Scott, of Ross House in Prusom Street, said tenants were not consulted and given less than a fortnight’s notice of the closure.
He added: “Residents shouldn’t have to travel miles to secure basic services that should be provided without complaint.”
A THH spokeswoman said it runs three other offices in the borough which tenants could use.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point
She added: “It hasn’t been used as a housing office for a while but to run two local housing surgeries each week.
“We’re working with residents to find alternative accommodation in the Wapping neighbourhood to run a local housing surgery.”