War mum, now 99, searches for evacuee 'son' from East End
REMBRANCE Sunday can make war memories flood back. But for a 99-year-old lady, who experienced both world wars, it also brings hopes of a reunion with her long lost evacuee son from London's East End
REMEMBRANCE Sunday can make war memories flood back. But for a 99-year-old lady, who experienced both world wars, it also brings hopes of a reunion with her long lost 'evacuee son' from London's East End.
For more than half a century Evelyn Brunt has been trying to trace Alan, and this year her search appeal is especially important.
Mrs Brunt's granddaughter Deborah Bradby said: "Nana turns 100 on her next birthday and it's not a card from the Queen she wants, but to see Alan".
Alan was just seven in 1941 when he came to live in Evelyn's home in Surrey to escape the Blitz. Mrs Brunt believes he came from Bethnal Green or Hackney.
Alan stayed with Mrs Brunt and her then six-year-old daughter Pauline Millen for nearly two years, while her husband went away to fight in the War.
Pauline said: "My mother has always talked about Alan. She even named my little brother after him.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 6 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 9 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 10 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
"His parents use to pedal down from East London on the weekend and we all used to have a grand old time."
His family may have moved after the War as Evelyn never received any reply to her letters.
Anyone with information on Alan's whereabouts is being urged to contact Nicola Grylls on 020 7953 7619.