Watch out for phishing emails offering tax rebates, warns HM Tax Office
Email scams are being operated by gangs offering tax rebates in return for your bank account or credit card details, taxpayers are being warned.
More than 23,000 ‘phishing’ emails were reported to HM Revenue & Customs in the three months up to Christmas, it was revealed this week.
Now taxpayers in east London are being urged not to be fooled by dodgy emails offering tax refunds.
“We never use emails to contact people who are due a tax refund,” said the Revenue Department’s digital security chief Gareth Lloyd. “It’s always a letter through the post.
“Anyone receiving an email claiming to be from HMRC which offers a rebate should forward it to us—then delete it permanently.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone responding to this type of email risks opening their bank account to fraudsters and having their details sold on to organised criminal gangs, the tax office warns.
The Revenue Department managed to close 178 websites last month alone, where scam emails originated. It shut down nearly 1,500 during the whole of 2013.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
The tax office is working with police and other enforcement agencies around the world “to target the criminals behind the scams.”
Anyone receiving a ‘phishing’ email is being urged to forward it on to Tax Office investigators on firstname.lastname@example.org