We need CCTV after today’s latest attack in our street
Dear Ed, WE HAVE just had the third dreadful incident in as many months at this end of Bethnal Green when a man was attacked today (Friday) crossing the road from Victoria Park into Sewardstone Road. Two blokes emerged from a car with metal pipes and attacked the man until he fell unconscious to the ground
WE HAVE just had the third dreadful incident in as many months at this end of Bethnal Green when a man was attacked today (Friday) crossing the road from Victoria Park into Sewardstone Road (Man fights for life after metal bar attack in street, Advertiser Website, July 17).
Two blokes emerged from a passing car, equipped with metal pipes, and attacked the man with the weapons until he fell unconscious to the ground.
I reiterate as chair of Parkview Estate residents, and also representative on Bethnal Green North Safer Neighbourhoods ward panel, the need for CCTV in this area.
A volunteer a few weeks ago helping out with the gardening at St James-the-Less Vicarage got beaten up by a youth walking past who did not like the garden waste obstructing his walk. He was left with a blue face and broken bones.
Soon after, joy riders destroyed three parked cars in St James Avenue when their car sped around the corner.
I spoke to a police officer guarding today’s crime scene (July 17) who agreed this area needs CCTV.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 6 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 7 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 10 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
How else are police going to establish who those attackers were without video evidence?
Sewardstone Road, Bethnal Green