We owe huge debt to Ghurkhas who fought and died for Britain
Dear Ed, THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, the bravest of the brave. We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return
THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, who are the bravest of the brave. In the First World War, Second World War, the Falklands and today in Afghanistan, they have fought and died for Britain in some of our toughest battles.
We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return. That’s why there should be a presumption that Ghurkha veterans who want to live in this country should be able to do so. The Labour government did not support this view, but were defeated in a vote.
Sadly, the Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town voted with the Government against the Ghurkhas—shame on him. It is a disgrace that, in a constituency as diverse as Poplar & Canning Town in London’s East End, he felt unable to offer a home to those that have fought for our freedom.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
Tower Hamlets Council
Poplar & Limehouse Prospective Parliamentary candidate
Saundersness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs