We owe huge debt to Ghurkhas who fought and died for Britain
Dear Ed, THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, the bravest of the brave. We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return
THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, who are the bravest of the brave. In the First World War, Second World War, the Falklands and today in Afghanistan, they have fought and died for Britain in some of our toughest battles.
We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return. That’s why there should be a presumption that Ghurkha veterans who want to live in this country should be able to do so. The Labour government did not support this view, but were defeated in a vote.
Sadly, the Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town voted with the Government against the Ghurkhas—shame on him. It is a disgrace that, in a constituency as diverse as Poplar & Canning Town in London’s East End, he felt unable to offer a home to those that have fought for our freedom.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Tower Hamlets Council
Poplar & Limehouse Prospective Parliamentary candidate
Saundersness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs