We owe huge debt to Ghurkhas who fought and died for Britain
Dear Ed, THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, the bravest of the brave. We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return
THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, who are the bravest of the brave. In the First World War, Second World War, the Falklands and today in Afghanistan, they have fought and died for Britain in some of our toughest battles.
We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return. That’s why there should be a presumption that Ghurkha veterans who want to live in this country should be able to do so. The Labour government did not support this view, but were defeated in a vote.
Sadly, the Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town voted with the Government against the Ghurkhas—shame on him. It is a disgrace that, in a constituency as diverse as Poplar & Canning Town in London’s East End, he felt unable to offer a home to those that have fought for our freedom.
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 6 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
Tower Hamlets Council
Poplar & Limehouse Prospective Parliamentary candidate
Saundersness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs