We owe huge debt to Ghurkhas who fought and died for Britain
Dear Ed, THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, the bravest of the brave. We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return
THE Government was defeated in the Commons last week over the issue of supporting the Ghurkhas, who are the bravest of the brave. In the First World War, Second World War, the Falklands and today in Afghanistan, they have fought and died for Britain in some of our toughest battles.
We owe them a huge debt. We need to treat them properly in return. That’s why there should be a presumption that Ghurkha veterans who want to live in this country should be able to do so. The Labour government did not support this view, but were defeated in a vote.
Sadly, the Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town voted with the Government against the Ghurkhas—shame on him. It is a disgrace that, in a constituency as diverse as Poplar & Canning Town in London’s East End, he felt unable to offer a home to those that have fought for our freedom.
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
- 1 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 2 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 7 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 8 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 9 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
Tower Hamlets Council
Poplar & Limehouse Prospective Parliamentary candidate
Saundersness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs