We want car park’ removed and our green space returned
Dear Ed, I WRITE once again to complain about Swan Housing, this time about the temporary car park’ on the once-green space east of Brayford Square on the Exmouth Estate in Stepney. Swan was granted a one-year planning permit to use this green space for cars on September 26, 2007. This has long expired, yet Swan continues occupying it
I WRITE once again to complain about Swan Housing Association, this time about the temporary car park’ on the once-green space east of Brayford Square on the Exmouth Estate in Stepney, next to Summercourt Road.
Swan (or their construction company Higgins), was granted a one-year planning permit to use this green space for cars on September 26, 2007 (No. PA/07/01671).
This one-year permit has long expired, yet Swan and Higgins continue to occupy the space.
In fact, they have occupied it for so long that some people, including Swan Housing’s assistant development director Akin Durowoju, in his letter to the East London Advertiser, seem to think it has always been a car park (Advertiser website letters, March 30).
Others, too, might think this and conclude that a huge block of flats would be preferable to an ugly car park full of all sorts of rubbish as well as parked vehicles.
This would add credence to Swan Housing’s proposal to build on the site and would suit their purpose very well.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 7 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Call for pictures of your Platinum Jubilee street parties and celebrations
The sooner Swan and Higgins move out, the better—so that the car park’ can be the open green space it once was.
Exmouth Estate, Commercial Road, Stepney