We want car park’ removed and our green space returned
Dear Ed, I WRITE once again to complain about Swan Housing, this time about the temporary car park’ on the once-green space east of Brayford Square on the Exmouth Estate in Stepney. Swan was granted a one-year planning permit to use this green space for cars on September 26, 2007. This has long expired, yet Swan continues occupying it
I WRITE once again to complain about Swan Housing Association, this time about the temporary car park’ on the once-green space east of Brayford Square on the Exmouth Estate in Stepney, next to Summercourt Road.
Swan (or their construction company Higgins), was granted a one-year planning permit to use this green space for cars on September 26, 2007 (No. PA/07/01671).
This one-year permit has long expired, yet Swan and Higgins continue to occupy the space.
In fact, they have occupied it for so long that some people, including Swan Housing’s assistant development director Akin Durowoju, in his letter to the East London Advertiser, seem to think it has always been a car park (Advertiser website letters, March 30).
You may also want to watch:
Others, too, might think this and conclude that a huge block of flats would be preferable to an ugly car park full of all sorts of rubbish as well as parked vehicles.
This would add credence to Swan Housing’s proposal to build on the site and would suit their purpose very well.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
- 8 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 9 Trial of Poplar and Limehouse MP opens on 'housing fraud' charges
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
The sooner Swan and Higgins move out, the better—so that the car park’ can be the open green space it once was.
Exmouth Estate, Commercial Road, Stepney