Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- Credit: PA
A yellow weather warning has been issued across London and the south east of England.
The Met Office has warned that thunderstorms are expected between 1pm to just before 12 midnight today (Tuesday, July 20).
The forecasters are currently expecting the rain to hit around 3pm or 4pm in east London.
It is expected that the storms will impact travel and power supplies, with flash flooding a risk.
There is a chance of lightning strikes, hail and strong winds and the Met Office has warned of difficult driving conditions and road closures.
Should there be flooding or lightning strikes, train and bus services could be cancelled.
The weather forecast shows that although the thunderstorm may miss some places, where it hits is likely to experience torrential rain, frequent lightning and gusty winds.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Volunteers thanked for running East End food bank for 70 weeks
- 10 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
It is predicted that the thunderstorms could produce 30 to 60mm of rain within one to two hours.
Power cuts may also occur as a result of the thunderstorms and services to homes and businesses could be lost.