Snow forecast for east London from Sunday
Mike Bedigan, Press Association
- Credit: Ron Jeffries
Snow and ice are being forecast for London from Sunday and into early next week.
The Met Office has issued yellow warnings for snow and ice, covering the length of Britain, from midday on Saturday to midday on Wednesday.
Simon Partridge, meteorologist for the Met Office, added that continuous snow showers and strong wind in the east on Sunday would result in "really bad" visibility and up to 20cm of snow in some areas.
Public Health England has issued a cold weather alert between 9am on Saturday and 9pm on Wednesday, warning those with heart and lung problems to take precautions.
Dr Owen Landeg, group leader, extreme events and health protection at PHE, said: "Cold weather isn't just uncomfortable, it can have a serious impact on health. For older people and those with heart and lung problems, it can increase the risks of heart attacks, strokes and chest infections.
"So it's really crucial at this time, especially ahead of a very cold snap, to remember to check on frail or older neighbours or relatives, especially those living alone or who have serious illnesses.
"Make a call, or socially distanced doorstep visit if they live close by, to remind them of some simple but important health tips such as heating their home to at least 18C, 64.4F, and to keep up to date with the forecast."
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 7 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Live audience ban forces east London talent show to go on YouTube
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets