Tower Hamlets Mayor’s excitement for Olympic visits
The Olympics can help promote a message of “solidarity, friendship and peace” in the East End according to Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman.
Mr Rahman spoke of his excitement at the prospect of the Games and visits from other members of the Mayors for Peace organisation. The group contains more tham 5,000 Mayors from around the world, and aims to promote their vision of a nuclear-free world.
Mayor Rahman said: “I am very proud that the East End will host tens of thousands of visitors, from all over the world, for the Olympic Games.
“In the very act of bringing together so many different nationalities from across the world, the Olympic Games send a message to the world of solidarity, friendship and peace.”
Mayor Rahman joined Mayors for Peace in 2010, and discussed how they try to implement their aims.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We lobby governments, send delegations to the United Nations and strive to raise awareness around the world about the pressing need for nuclear disarmament.
“The Olympics emerged as part of a rebirth and with two aims: to celebrate sporting prowess and to end war. That message is as relevant to us today as it was to our forefathers all those centuries ago.”
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 8 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 9 Youthful Orient side nab a draw away to Dulwich Hamlet
- 10 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted