Weekly allowance for needy students is just a ‘lunch’ for Tory minister
Dear |Ed... The Government has at last recognised its awful mistake in cutting the Education Maintenance Allowance that helps students from low-income homes finish their schooling.
Maybe the �30 a week is just a Westminster lunch for a Tory Education Secretary.
But it has provided breakfast, lunch and bus-fare for many East End youngsters and their families.
The new, less-generous grant will help barely one-in-three of those 16- to 18-year-olds in need.
You may also want to watch:
Bruce Road, Bromley-by-Bow
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney