Well done! Our cops make Bow a safer neighbourhood
Dear Ed, WE PUBLICLY congratulate the Bow East Police Neighbourhood team in East London on their well-deserved Community Safety award. In the nine months the team has made real progress in tackling persistent crime and anti-social behaviour around Roman Road Market
WE PUBLICLY congratulate Pol Sgt Tony Mohan, Pc Steve Bowyer and the rest of the Bow East Police Neighbourhood team in East London on their well-deserved Community Safety award.
In the nine months since Sgt Mohan took over in Bow East ward, his team has made real progress tackling some of the persistent crime and anti-social behaviour around Roman Road Market.
The team has also led the work to close down several crack’ houses in the area, including the first-ever use of the new Closure Order powers anywhere in the country.
You may also want to watch:
Team-members are making great efforts to listen to the community’s concerns. The effectiveness of the Bow East team shows it was absolutely right to introduce neighbourhood teams in the first place and then roll them out across Tower Hamlets ahead of other boroughs.
It also shows why it is right to directly invest an extra �650,000 a year in boosting the neighbourhood police teams by another 17 officers.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 8 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Hunt for bogus health worker who gave fake Covid jab to woman of 92
Of course, things are still a long way short of what we would like. But if the police themselves are able to find a little more cash for a few extra officers, there is now a real prospect of a regular uniformed presence’ late into the evenings in Roman Road Market as well as daytime.
That is exactly the kind of visible deterrent that will ensure older people feel safe getting to the shops again and help boost the traders while we wait for Iceland and Tesco’s to set up stall.
Cllr Marc Francis (Lab)
Cllr Alex Heslop (Lab)
Cllr Ahmed Omer (Lab)
Bow East ward
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Blackwall