Well-known East End photographer dies
A well-known photographer who captured the changing landscape of London s East End and its people has died aged 85. Harry Diamond who was born in the East End died from a brain hemorrhage at Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone last Wednesday. He starte
A well-known photographer who captured the changing landscape of London's East End and its people has died aged 85.
Harry Diamond who was born in the East End died from a brain hemorrhage at Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone last Wednesday.
He started photographing East End buildings in the 1960s before they were torn down after becoming upset about the many disappearing buildings.
He then began taking pictures of East End people and artists, and became well known in the West End where he mingled with jazz musicians and other artists.
You may also want to watch:
But he chose to continue to stay in the East End where he lived on Stepney's Exmouth Estate.
His close friend, landlady at the George Tavern, Pauline Forster, said: "He was a very interesting and extremely bright man with a good sense of humour. He was a gifted photographer, and although he was a fiercely independent man and a bit of a loner he had a lot of good friends in the pub and was well liked by customers.
- 1 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 2 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 5 Leyton Orient agree new deal with defender Dan Happe
- 6 Travel: Roadworks at Shoreditch and Bishopsgate could slow traffic
- 7 Fear of crime stalked households during Covid lockdown
- 8 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 9 Former Leyton Orient striker Lee Angol joins Bradford City
- 10 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
He was a 'people person' even though he was a private man."
All his photographs have been donated to the National Portrait Gallery.