West Ham boss considers getting a Brazilian – and an Aussie too!
Midfielder Juca and left back Carney on trial with the Hammers
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is running the rule over two trialists currently at the club this week.
Australian left back David Carney and Brazilian midfielder Juca have been training at Chadwell Heath for the past fortnight, and both played 90 minutes in the Development Squad’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur on Monday afternoon.
Hammers fans may recognise Carney from Blackpool’s side last season, where the 27-year-old Aussie international made 11 appearances for Ian Holloway’s men.
Following the Seasiders’ relegation to the Championship, former Sheffield United player Carney left the Lancashire club and is now training with West Ham, aiming to secure a deal.
You may also want to watch:
If signed, Carney would add competition to both George McCartney and Matt Taylor as he can operate anywhere along the left-hand side.
A Carney signature would also be the final nail in the Hammers coffin of Herita Ilunga, who is now so far out of the picture at Upton Park that he was left out of the club’s official photo.
- 1 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 2 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory
Brazilian Juca, full name Juliano Roberto Antonello, is currently a free agent, having left Deportivo La Coruna at the end of last season.
While in Spain, Juca, who plays as a defensive midfielder and can take set-pieces, made 24 appearances, scoring three goals.
Before that, Juca spent two seasons at Partizan Belgrade.
The Brazilian guided Partizan to the Serbian SuperLiga title and the Serbian Cup during his time in Eastern Europe, where he scored seven goals in 43 appearances.
It is understood that there are currently no immediate plans to sign either player, but they remain training with the club.
Meanwhile, West Ham travel to Millwall on Saturday with confidence high after Saturday’s first home victory of the season against Portsmouth.
West Ham midfielder Mark Noble is in a confident mood: “With the team we’ve got and the players we’ve got, we can go to any place and win,” he said.
“We have no other aim. We are not going to go anywhere thinking that a point is good enough, because it isn’t for us. We need to win every game.”