Work begins on £151m Westferry hotel and homes development
- Credit: Archant
Building has begun on a £151million development at Westferry which includes London’s tallest Premier Inn hotel and 66 new homes.
The project by developer Rockwell will rejuvenate the formerly derelict site at 82 West India Dock Road, next to Westferry DLR station.
It's expected to create a significant number of hospitality and leisure industry jobs through the 400-key hotel, while the residential properties will include 18 affordable homes.
At a groundbreaking ceremony on Wednesday, January 15, Rockwell announced further investment in the community through supporting the Boundary Community Schools initiative, which has helped more than 500 people secure jobs to date.
The 30-storey mixed-use development, which will also include a restaurant, café, gym, pocket park and communal gardens for residents, is expected to be completed in early 2022.
You may also want to watch:
Rockwell founder Donal Mulryan said: "We are immensely proud to break ground on this landmark building which will be an important asset for the area, providing significant benefits for the local community with the creation of numerous jobs for local people, enhanced public realm and much needed new homes."
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin