What’s been said about Michael Foot is wrong!
Dear Ed, I READ with amusement Tower Hamlets Cllr Alex Heslop’s appraisal of Michael Foot who died last weekIt is a shame that what he says about Foot is wrong
I READ with amusement Tower Hamlets Cllr Alex Heslop’s appraisal of Michael Foot who died last week (Advertiser website letters, March 5).
It is a shame that what he says about Foot is wrong. Foot won libel damages against a Sunday newspaper in 1995 over allegations about links to the KGB during the Cold War. These accusations came from Oleg Gordievsky, the KGB officer who defected from the Soviet Union to Britain in 1985. Note that Foot did not sue Gordievsky.
As for Jack Jones, after he died last year Christopher Andrews’ official history of MI5 confirmed that he had been a known KGB agent. Gordievsky was also proved right about other KGB contacts, who admitted that he had taken “Moscow gold”.
Michael Foot was no hero. He ensured that Thatcher won the 1983 General Election with a landslide, so at least we have to thank him for that.
You may also want to watch:
Stephenson Street, Canning Town
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals