What’s been said about Michael Foot is wrong!
Dear Ed, I READ with amusement Tower Hamlets Cllr Alex Heslop’s appraisal of Michael Foot who died last weekIt is a shame that what he says about Foot is wrong
I READ with amusement Tower Hamlets Cllr Alex Heslop’s appraisal of Michael Foot who died last week (Advertiser website letters, March 5).
It is a shame that what he says about Foot is wrong. Foot won libel damages against a Sunday newspaper in 1995 over allegations about links to the KGB during the Cold War. These accusations came from Oleg Gordievsky, the KGB officer who defected from the Soviet Union to Britain in 1985. Note that Foot did not sue Gordievsky.
As for Jack Jones, after he died last year Christopher Andrews’ official history of MI5 confirmed that he had been a known KGB agent. Gordievsky was also proved right about other KGB contacts, who admitted that he had taken “Moscow gold”.
Michael Foot was no hero. He ensured that Thatcher won the 1983 General Election with a landslide, so at least we have to thank him for that.
You may also want to watch:
Stephenson Street, Canning Town
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 4 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 5 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 6 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 7 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 8 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 9 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 10 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson