What’s been said about Michael Foot is wrong!
Dear Ed, I READ with amusement Tower Hamlets Cllr Alex Heslop’s appraisal of Michael Foot who died last weekIt is a shame that what he says about Foot is wrong
I READ with amusement Tower Hamlets Cllr Alex Heslop’s appraisal of Michael Foot who died last week (Advertiser website letters, March 5).
It is a shame that what he says about Foot is wrong. Foot won libel damages against a Sunday newspaper in 1995 over allegations about links to the KGB during the Cold War. These accusations came from Oleg Gordievsky, the KGB officer who defected from the Soviet Union to Britain in 1985. Note that Foot did not sue Gordievsky.
As for Jack Jones, after he died last year Christopher Andrews’ official history of MI5 confirmed that he had been a known KGB agent. Gordievsky was also proved right about other KGB contacts, who admitted that he had taken “Moscow gold”.
Michael Foot was no hero. He ensured that Thatcher won the 1983 General Election with a landslide, so at least we have to thank him for that.
You may also want to watch:
Stephenson Street, Canning Town
- 1 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 2 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 3 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 7 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 8 Campaign launched to 'clean up the Thames and help save world's oceans'
- 9 Hot tub and BBQ boats relaunched at Canary Wharf
- 10 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs