When will our telephone ring?
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines. One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying. And the office manager of a firm
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines.
One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying.
And the office manager of a firm based in Marsh Wall said the company had been forced to get calls re-routed through another branch but staff were having to make calls using their own mobile phones.
He estimated that thousands of companies have been affected by the problems caused to a damaged phone cable.
A BT spokesman said: "Following significant damage by a third party construction company to BT cables in a deep underground tunnel in the Ilford area, a large number of customers in parts of East London have been experiencing a loss of service.
"While services have been restored to the majority of customers, some business and mobile services remain affected. BT's engineers are working around the clock to restore services to these remaining customers as quickly as possible. This work will continue into the Easter weekend.
- 1 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 2 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 9 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 10 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
"BT would like to apologise to all impacted customers. Customers can get automated updates on progress by dialling 0800 169 0199.