When will our telephone ring?
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines. One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying. And the office manager of a firm
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines.
One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying.
And the office manager of a firm based in Marsh Wall said the company had been forced to get calls re-routed through another branch but staff were having to make calls using their own mobile phones.
He estimated that thousands of companies have been affected by the problems caused to a damaged phone cable.
You may also want to watch:
A BT spokesman said: "Following significant damage by a third party construction company to BT cables in a deep underground tunnel in the Ilford area, a large number of customers in parts of East London have been experiencing a loss of service.
"While services have been restored to the majority of customers, some business and mobile services remain affected. BT's engineers are working around the clock to restore services to these remaining customers as quickly as possible. This work will continue into the Easter weekend.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 6 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 7 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
"BT would like to apologise to all impacted customers. Customers can get automated updates on progress by dialling 0800 169 0199.