When will our telephone ring?
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines. One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying. And the office manager of a firm
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines.
One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying.
And the office manager of a firm based in Marsh Wall said the company had been forced to get calls re-routed through another branch but staff were having to make calls using their own mobile phones.
He estimated that thousands of companies have been affected by the problems caused to a damaged phone cable.
You may also want to watch:
A BT spokesman said: "Following significant damage by a third party construction company to BT cables in a deep underground tunnel in the Ilford area, a large number of customers in parts of East London have been experiencing a loss of service.
"While services have been restored to the majority of customers, some business and mobile services remain affected. BT's engineers are working around the clock to restore services to these remaining customers as quickly as possible. This work will continue into the Easter weekend.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
"BT would like to apologise to all impacted customers. Customers can get automated updates on progress by dialling 0800 169 0199.