When will our telephone ring?
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines. One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying. And the office manager of a firm
DISGRUNTLED businesses are counting the cost after a week without phone lines.
One customer contacted the Advertiser in desperation as he had been unable to contact a business in West Ferry Road after three days of trying.
And the office manager of a firm based in Marsh Wall said the company had been forced to get calls re-routed through another branch but staff were having to make calls using their own mobile phones.
He estimated that thousands of companies have been affected by the problems caused to a damaged phone cable.
You may also want to watch:
A BT spokesman said: "Following significant damage by a third party construction company to BT cables in a deep underground tunnel in the Ilford area, a large number of customers in parts of East London have been experiencing a loss of service.
"While services have been restored to the majority of customers, some business and mobile services remain affected. BT's engineers are working around the clock to restore services to these remaining customers as quickly as possible. This work will continue into the Easter weekend.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
"BT would like to apologise to all impacted customers. Customers can get automated updates on progress by dialling 0800 169 0199.