Where are our war memorials—and who looks after them?
Dear Ed, I WONDER if people know where the war memorials are in their area and whether they are being looked after. I am conducting an investigation for the London Assembly to identify all London’s war memorials
I WONDER if people know where the war memorials are in their area and whether they are being looked after. Perhaps they have noticed they are falling into disrepair.
Have they tried contacting the relevant authority about maintenance? Perhaps they have photos of their local memorials.
I am conducting an investigation for the London Assembly to identify all London’s war memorials, how well they are maintained and by whom. The Assembly’s planning and housing committee wants to see if there is potential for the planning system to offer war memorials more protection from developers and neglect.
You may also want to watch:
A war memorial is something that physically commemorates anyone who has died in any conflict. They may be a cenotaph, hospital, public hall, brass plate or an alms house.
We would like help with the investigation and ask people to send details by post or by email to Michael Walker at City Hall. Their views will be taken into account along with evidence from town halls, museums and other organisations for a report in the summer. More details online.
Tony Arbour, AM
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
Planning and Housing Committee
PP10, Freepost LON15799
City Hall, The Queen’s Walk, Southwark SE1 2BR