Where are our war memorials—and who looks after them?
Dear Ed, I WONDER if people know where the war memorials are in their area and whether they are being looked after. I am conducting an investigation for the London Assembly to identify all London’s war memorials
I WONDER if people know where the war memorials are in their area and whether they are being looked after. Perhaps they have noticed they are falling into disrepair.
Have they tried contacting the relevant authority about maintenance? Perhaps they have photos of their local memorials.
I am conducting an investigation for the London Assembly to identify all London’s war memorials, how well they are maintained and by whom. The Assembly’s planning and housing committee wants to see if there is potential for the planning system to offer war memorials more protection from developers and neglect.
A war memorial is something that physically commemorates anyone who has died in any conflict. They may be a cenotaph, hospital, public hall, brass plate or an alms house.
We would like help with the investigation and ask people to send details by post or by email to Michael Walker at City Hall. Their views will be taken into account along with evidence from town halls, museums and other organisations for a report in the summer. More details online.
Tony Arbour, AM
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 4 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 5 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
Planning and Housing Committee
PP10, Freepost LON15799
City Hall, The Queen’s Walk, Southwark SE1 2BR