Whitechapel caterer closed down after dead mouse found on worker’s shoe
- Credit: LBTH
A dead mouse discovered by health inspectors at a catering business in Whitechapel landed the owner in court.
The caterer and a supermarket half-a-mile away were both forced to close following hygiene inspections by Tower Hamlets Council.
Health officers visited Haochii caterers’ trading unit in Raven Row, behind the Royal London Hospital, following a complaint to the council about food hygiene.
They found the dead mouse stuck to the bottom of an employee’s shoe.
Mouse droppings were also found on food containers, weighing scales and mixed with fresh ginger.
You may also want to watch:
Haochii Limited has now ceased trading and the building was demolished in June. Owner Mohsin Nadeem, 41, admitted five summonses for breaching hygiene regulations and was fined £5,200 by Thames Magistrates’ Court, following the inspection in August 2016.
Council inspectors also paid a routine visit to Nilsa supermarket in Burslem Street, Whitechapel, where they found “evidence of pest infestations” with mouse droppings on worktops and food packaging.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
The supermarket was closed for a week in January to give owner Mohammed Hoque, 45, time to clean up. He was fined £5,800.
“We won’t tolerate these problems,” the council’s cabinet member for environment Amina Ali said. “Our enforcement team will take action when retailers breach the law. Some retailers are not taking hygiene seriously enough.”
The council has fired a warning that it will close down unhygienic premises and take court enforcement action against owners.