Whitechapel Mission gets �1,000 for homeless from new Tesco store
A charity feeding the homeless is getting a �1,000 windfall from a new supermarket opening in London’s East End next week.
Finishing touches are being made to a new Tesco Metro store set to open in Fieldgate Street in Whitechapel at 8am on June 18.
Manager Rachel Thomas presents a cheque at 10am to a representative from the nearby Whitechapel Mission before cutting the ribbon.
She said: “It’s important that we become a part of the Whitechapel community.”
Rachel (pictured left) was formally handed the keys to the premises by contractors project manager Aidan Teesdale last week, after the new store was fitted out.
You may also want to watch:
The cheque is going towards running costs of the Whitechapel Mission supplying the immediate needs for food, shelter, clothing and medical care for those on the streets. The Mission also runs a programme addressing needs for job skills training and recovery from addiction.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences