Whitechapel Mission gets �1,000 for homeless from new Tesco store
A charity feeding the homeless is getting a �1,000 windfall from a new supermarket opening in London’s East End next week.
Finishing touches are being made to a new Tesco Metro store set to open in Fieldgate Street in Whitechapel at 8am on June 18.
Manager Rachel Thomas presents a cheque at 10am to a representative from the nearby Whitechapel Mission before cutting the ribbon.
She said: “It’s important that we become a part of the Whitechapel community.”
Rachel (pictured left) was formally handed the keys to the premises by contractors project manager Aidan Teesdale last week, after the new store was fitted out.
You may also want to watch:
The cheque is going towards running costs of the Whitechapel Mission supplying the immediate needs for food, shelter, clothing and medical care for those on the streets. The Mission also runs a programme addressing needs for job skills training and recovery from addiction.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week