Whitechapel shoppers sneak a look at plans for the Olympic Park
The future of east London’s Olympic Park looked a little clearer to shoppers in Whitechapel on Saturday.
While doing their weekly shop at Sainsbury’s, East Enders were able to learn about the Olympic Park Legacy Company’s ambitious plans for the park including the Olympic stadium in Stratford.
They saw designs including five new neighbourhoods and up to 11,000 homes to sit among 250 acres of open spaces, 3km of waterways and sporting venues.
The first of the five neighbourhoods will be in the north-east of the park with work due to commence in 2014 with features including modern re-designs of traditional Georgian and Victorian terraces and squares.
An “entertainment plaza” based around the Olympic stadium and the 115m tall ArcelorMittal Orbit tower is also planned.
You may also want to watch:
The Olympic Park roadshow has previously toured supermarkets in Hackney and will now visit Newham.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney