Whitechapel shoppers sneak a look at plans for the Olympic Park
The future of east London’s Olympic Park looked a little clearer to shoppers in Whitechapel on Saturday.
While doing their weekly shop at Sainsbury’s, East Enders were able to learn about the Olympic Park Legacy Company’s ambitious plans for the park including the Olympic stadium in Stratford.
They saw designs including five new neighbourhoods and up to 11,000 homes to sit among 250 acres of open spaces, 3km of waterways and sporting venues.
The first of the five neighbourhoods will be in the north-east of the park with work due to commence in 2014 with features including modern re-designs of traditional Georgian and Victorian terraces and squares.
An “entertainment plaza” based around the Olympic stadium and the 115m tall ArcelorMittal Orbit tower is also planned.
You may also want to watch:
The Olympic Park roadshow has previously toured supermarkets in Hackney and will now visit Newham.
- 2 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt