Whitechapel shoppers sneak a look at plans for the Olympic Park
The future of east London’s Olympic Park looked a little clearer to shoppers in Whitechapel on Saturday.
While doing their weekly shop at Sainsbury’s, East Enders were able to learn about the Olympic Park Legacy Company’s ambitious plans for the park including the Olympic stadium in Stratford.
They saw designs including five new neighbourhoods and up to 11,000 homes to sit among 250 acres of open spaces, 3km of waterways and sporting venues.
The first of the five neighbourhoods will be in the north-east of the park with work due to commence in 2014 with features including modern re-designs of traditional Georgian and Victorian terraces and squares.
An “entertainment plaza” based around the Olympic stadium and the 115m tall ArcelorMittal Orbit tower is also planned.
You may also want to watch:
The Olympic Park roadshow has previously toured supermarkets in Hackney and will now visit Newham.
- 1 Tower Hamlets youth worker on lack of funding for vital services
- 2 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 5 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 6 Potential strike action could hit Tower Hamlets Council services
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge