Whitechapel supermarket staff help raise cash for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Staff and shoppers at a Sainsbury’s store took part in a treadmill challenge to raise £500 for Bowel & Cancer Research.
The walking machine was at the supermarket in Brady Street, Whitechapel and colleagues took turns to notch up the miles. Sporting shoppers joined in and helped the store to hit its target distance of 26 miles at 5.50pm.
The fundraising event was part of the charity’s Big Bum-ble campaign, aimed at getting people off their bottoms to improve their fitness and raise money for research.
Micky Forster from Bowel & Cancer Research, based in Whitechapel, thanked Sainsbury’s for a heroic effort.
She said: “It was wonderful to have so many staff and customers join in. It proved a really good way to engage with customers and we attracted interest from many people of different backgrounds and ages, from five to 75.
You may also want to watch:
“April is Bowel Cancer Awareness Month and having the opportunity to hold this type of Big Bum-ble event at Sainsbury’s was invaluable.”
She pointed out that bowel cancer is the third most common cancer in the UK – someone is diagnosed every 30 minutes.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
Taking part in the Big Bum-ble campaign is simple and you can choose your preferred activity, set up an online sponsorship page and get moving. For ideas and information, go to bowelcancerresearch.org/support-us/big-bum-ble/