Why do I need a computer to apply for a council job?
Dear Ed, Cllr Oliur Rahman has been given the post of chief of employment on Tower Hamlets Council. Maybe he can look into why you now must have a computer to apply for any job on the council
COUNCILLOR Cllr Oliur Rahman has been given the post of chief of employment on Tower Hamlets Council (East London Advertiser, June 4). Maybe he can look into why you now must have a computer to apply for any job on the council.
The council a few weeks ago changed the way you can apply for jobs and took off the phone number so you can’t call up for an application pack.
This excludes a large proportion of the community in the East End who might like to work for their local authority, but can’t afford a computer.
This doesn’t surprise me, because they don’t really want to recruit people into full-time posts. The Town Hall wastes millions keeping non-unionised agency staff on their books who don’t have full employment rights.
Maybe Cllr Rahman can publish the top 50 highest-paid consultants in the Town Hall. I am sure it will make just as bad reading as MPs’ expenses!
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 8 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed
Stepney (full address supplied)