Widespread backing for East End teachers’ SATS test boycott
UNION officials in London’s East End are confident today’s boycott of primary school tests has widespread support. Tower Hamlets council confirmed that staff at 34 of its 65 primary schools were supporting the boycott. The teacher union said the figure was higher
UNION officials in London's East End are confident today's boycott of primary school tests has widespread support.
Tower Hamlets council confirmed that staff at 34 of its 65 primary schools were supporting the boycott.
The National Union of Teachers said the figure was higher.
NUT Tower Hamlets rep Alex Kenny told the East London Advertiser: "We would estimate 40 to 45 schools are not taking part in the tests.
You may also want to watch:
"Even the other schools have expressed support. Some say they are completing the tests because the children have been prepared for them. But they still support our action.
"Some will be taking the tests but not handing over the results."
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
More than 600,000 children in the UK were scheduled to take part in today's SATS.
Tower Hamlets Council acknowledged the support the boycott is getting in th4e East End. A Town Hall spokesman said: "We recognise the democratic right of teachers to boycott the tests, although it has unfortunately prevented a number of pupils taking part."
Completed SATs papers will be sent for checking and marking, the authority assured. Schools will also send their teacher assessments as part of the process.