Widespread backing for East End teachers’ SATS test boycott
UNION officials in London’s East End are confident today’s boycott of primary school tests has widespread support. Tower Hamlets council confirmed that staff at 34 of its 65 primary schools were supporting the boycott. The teacher union said the figure was higher
UNION officials in London's East End are confident today's boycott of primary school tests has widespread support.
Tower Hamlets council confirmed that staff at 34 of its 65 primary schools were supporting the boycott.
The National Union of Teachers said the figure was higher.
NUT Tower Hamlets rep Alex Kenny told the East London Advertiser: "We would estimate 40 to 45 schools are not taking part in the tests.
You may also want to watch:
"Even the other schools have expressed support. Some say they are completing the tests because the children have been prepared for them. But they still support our action.
"Some will be taking the tests but not handing over the results."
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 6 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
More than 600,000 children in the UK were scheduled to take part in today's SATS.
Tower Hamlets Council acknowledged the support the boycott is getting in th4e East End. A Town Hall spokesman said: "We recognise the democratic right of teachers to boycott the tests, although it has unfortunately prevented a number of pupils taking part."
Completed SATs papers will be sent for checking and marking, the authority assured. Schools will also send their teacher assessments as part of the process.