Winter fair raises �650 for historical East End church
HOMEMADE cakes were the star of the show during a winter fair at an East End church. Around 200 people turned out for the annual fair at Bow Church last Saturday which raised over �650 towards the upkeep and restoration of the church.
HOMEMADE cakes were the "star" of the show during a winter fair at an East End church.
Around 200 people turned out for the annual fair at Bow Church last Saturday which raised over �650 towards the upkeep and restoration of the church ahead of its 700 hundredth anniversary in 2011.
Up to ten stalls sold cakes, a range of gifts, jewellery, plants, second hand books and hand knitted children's clothes, and toys and games. There was also a tombola with prizes donated by local shops and pubs.
Rector Michael Pete said: "The homemade cakes made by members of the congregation were the star of the show. There were lots of different cakes from mince pies, jam tarts to chocolate and ginger cakes.
You may also want to watch:
"Last year we made �500 so its very encouraging that we made even more and that so many helped out. There was a very nice warm atmosphere inside the church on what was a cold and rainy day outside."
Ingredients for the cakes were donated by a local supermarket.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
The fair was held on to correspond with the Feast of Saint Nicholas , said to be the original Santa Claus.