Witness appeal after woman, 72, dies in traffic accident at Limehouse
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
An appeal for witnesses has begun after a 72-year-old woman died in east London crossing a main road—despite a half-hour battle by a doctor and paramedics to save her life.
The doctor pronounced Margaret Parker dead at the junction of East India Dock Road and Burdett Road in Limehouse at 8pm last Thursday.
The woman’s family were later contacted by police, although formal identification had not taken place. She came from Berthnal Green.
The A13 East India Dock Road was closed both ways for a police investigation, following the accident involving a red Peugeot car.
Paramedics from the London Ambulance Service and a team from the Air Ambulance at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel were sent to the accident.
You may also want to watch:
An ambulance spokesman said: “We sent a motorcycle responder and a responder in a car, as well as a duty officer and a medical team from the Air Ambulance in a car.
“But sadly, despite extensive efforts from our staff, the woman was pronounced dead at the scene by the air ambulance doctor.”
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
Police are appealling for witnesses who may have seen the accident in West india Dock Road at 8pm last Thursday to contact the Met Police Serious Collision Investigation unit on 020-8543 5157.
The driver, a man aged 39, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been bailed to return next month. He stopped a short distance down the road, then contacted emergency services, Scotland Yard later confirmed.
A post-mortem examination is due to take place.
Did you know Margaret Parker from Bethnal Green? You can contribute to her tribute at the Advertiser Newsdesk on 020-8477 4444.