Woman, 79, hurt in blaze in her Whitechapel home
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End. The 79-year-old was taken to hospital after the blaze at Donegal House in Whitechapel this morning
By Keir Mudie, picture: Jamie Ashman
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End.
The 79-year-old was taken to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel after the blaze at Donegal House (pictured) on the Collingwood Estate nearby in Cambridge Heath Road, this morning.
She had gone to a neighbour’s flat when the fire broke out in her kitchen, said eye-witnesses. Her injuries are not thought to be serious.
You may also want to watch:
Caretakers helped evacuate the buildings before emergency crews from s from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Shadwell fire-stations arrived at the scene.
Estate caretaker Abraham Olanrewagu told the East London Advertiser: “I ran to the flat with a bucket of water. We helped the woman get down the stairs. She was shaking badly.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
The kitchen was severely damaged,’ but fire crews managed to prevent flames spreading to the rest of the flat, according to the Fire Brigade.