Woman, 79, hurt in blaze in her Whitechapel home
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End. The 79-year-old was taken to hospital after the blaze at Donegal House in Whitechapel this morning
By Keir Mudie, picture: Jamie Ashman
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End.
The 79-year-old was taken to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel after the blaze at Donegal House (pictured) on the Collingwood Estate nearby in Cambridge Heath Road, this morning.
She had gone to a neighbour’s flat when the fire broke out in her kitchen, said eye-witnesses. Her injuries are not thought to be serious.
You may also want to watch:
Caretakers helped evacuate the buildings before emergency crews from s from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Shadwell fire-stations arrived at the scene.
Estate caretaker Abraham Olanrewagu told the East London Advertiser: “I ran to the flat with a bucket of water. We helped the woman get down the stairs. She was shaking badly.”
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 8 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 9 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 10 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
The kitchen was severely damaged,’ but fire crews managed to prevent flames spreading to the rest of the flat, according to the Fire Brigade.