Woman, 79, hurt in blaze in her Whitechapel home
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End. The 79-year-old was taken to hospital after the blaze at Donegal House in Whitechapel this morning
By Keir Mudie, picture: Jamie Ashman
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End.
The 79-year-old was taken to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel after the blaze at Donegal House (pictured) on the Collingwood Estate nearby in Cambridge Heath Road, this morning.
She had gone to a neighbour’s flat when the fire broke out in her kitchen, said eye-witnesses. Her injuries are not thought to be serious.
Caretakers helped evacuate the buildings before emergency crews from s from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Shadwell fire-stations arrived at the scene.
Estate caretaker Abraham Olanrewagu told the East London Advertiser: “I ran to the flat with a bucket of water. We helped the woman get down the stairs. She was shaking badly.”
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
The kitchen was severely damaged,’ but fire crews managed to prevent flames spreading to the rest of the flat, according to the Fire Brigade.