Woman, 79, hurt in blaze in her Whitechapel home
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End. The 79-year-old was taken to hospital after the blaze at Donegal House in Whitechapel this morning
By Keir Mudie, picture: Jamie Ashman
AN elderly woman was injured in a blaze at a block of flats in London’s East End.
The 79-year-old was taken to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel after the blaze at Donegal House (pictured) on the Collingwood Estate nearby in Cambridge Heath Road, this morning.
She had gone to a neighbour’s flat when the fire broke out in her kitchen, said eye-witnesses. Her injuries are not thought to be serious.
You may also want to watch:
Caretakers helped evacuate the buildings before emergency crews from s from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel and Shadwell fire-stations arrived at the scene.
Estate caretaker Abraham Olanrewagu told the East London Advertiser: “I ran to the flat with a bucket of water. We helped the woman get down the stairs. She was shaking badly.”
- 1 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 6 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 7 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
The kitchen was severely damaged,’ but fire crews managed to prevent flames spreading to the rest of the flat, according to the Fire Brigade.