Woman cyclist critical after rush-hour accident with coach in Whitechapel
- Credit: Archant
A woman cyclist is fighting for her life after an accident with a coach during this-morning’s rush-hour in east London on the busy A11 Whitechapel High Street.
Emergency services were called just before 9am to the accident near Aldgate East Underground station, near the traffic lights at Osborn Street and White Church Lane.
The woman, in her 30s, was treated at the scene by London Ambulance paramedics following a collision with the single-decker.
She was taken to the Royal London Hospital nearby with life-threatening injuries and remains in a critical condition.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “The driver stopped at the scene—no arrests have been made, but enquiries continue. Officers from the Roads Transport Policing Command are investigating.”
You may also want to watch:
Police cordoned off the area around the cs2 cycle lane while passengers were escorted from the coach.
The woman was trapped under the vehicle, according to passers-by. Her cycle lay crumpled close by.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 7 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 10 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
Whitechapel Road is a busy traffic and cycle route towards Aldgate and the City. It has been plagued by serious accidents involving cyclists in the past three years, including two fatal.
The road was closed from the corner of Adler Street Whitechapel Road, along Whitechapel High Street, to the junction of Commercial Street and Commercial Road, while Met Police investigators were examining the scene.
The accident happened where the CS2 ‘cycle highway’ running along the A11 merges with the rest of the traffic at the lights with White Church Lane heading west towards Aldgate and the City. It had only been opened last year by the TfL, aimed at making bike riding safer in London.