Search

Woman in bath leaps to safety as blaze breaks out

PUBLISHED: 11:47 07 January 2009 | UPDATED: 13:56 05 October 2010

A WOMAN in the bath had to get dressed quickly when a blaze broke out in her home. She raised the alarm when flames swept through the kitchen on her house in Poplar on Monday, then got to safety in the street. A faulty thermostat was believed to have overheated the fridge and caught light

A WOMAN in the bath had to leap out get dressed quickly when a blaze broke out in her home.

She raised the alarm when flames swept through the kitchen of her house in Chrisp Street, Poplar, at mid-day on Monday, then got to safety in the street.

A faulty thermostat was believed to have overheated the fridge and caught light.

“She was lucky the fire didn’t happen at night,” said a senior fire-officer. “The flames spread rapidly and she could have been trapped, because her smoke detector wasn’t working. She managed to get to safety before we arrived.”

The kitchen and hall were gutted and the flames melted the kitchen window. Other rooms in the property were also smokelogged, but the 50-year-old householder was unhurt.

Fire crews got the blaze under control in minutes and none of the neighbouring properties were affected.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser