Search

Woman treated after fire in Whitechapel homeless hostel

PUBLISHED: 09:08 22 July 2013 | UPDATED: 09:08 22 July 2013

A woman was treated for the effects of breathing smoke after fire broke out at a hostel for the homeless in London’s East End during the night.

Dozens of people living at the hostel in Old Montague Street in Whitechapel were woken up and evacuated when smoke filled corridors as flames swept through a room on the seventh floor at 1am.

The woman was given oxygen by an emergency crew arriving at the scene from Whitechapel fire-station, but declined to go to hospital.

The fire broke out in a fourth floor bedroom, but damage was said to be light. There were no rescues.

The occupants were allowed back into the building later.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser