Woman treated after fire in Whitechapel homeless hostel

A woman was treated for the effects of breathing smoke after fire broke out at a hostel for the homeless in London’s East End during the night.

Dozens of people living at the hostel in Old Montague Street in Whitechapel were woken up and evacuated when smoke filled corridors as flames swept through a room on the seventh floor at 1am.

The woman was given oxygen by an emergency crew arriving at the scene from Whitechapel fire-station, but declined to go to hospital.

The fire broke out in a fourth floor bedroom, but damage was said to be light. There were no rescues.

The occupants were allowed back into the building later.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus