Wot—no meat? Veggie in charge of Britain’s meat industry
Dear Ed, I THOUGHT the appointment of our Poplar & Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick as Minister for Food and Farming worth a mention. That is, of course, as long as the food does not include meat, as I am afraid to report that Jim is a vegetarian!
I THOUGHT the appointment of our Poplar & Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick as Minister for Food and Farming worth a mention. That is, of course, as long as the food does not include meat, as I am afraid to report that Jim is a vegetarian!
No cosy photo opportunities with the minister sampling 'the best of British meat,' then.
Just how this leaves British meat farmers feeling is not yet certain, although it again appears to be a misjudged shun by Labour to British farming industry.
I suppose it's nothing to do with the fact that Labour hold few rural seats in the region, of course. Moving a veggie to the Department for Food is really like putting a member of CND in charge of Britain's nuclear deterrence.
As so many of his ministers have walked out on him, maybe the besieged Gordon Brown had no other option than to reach down to his inner city and the loyal member for Poplar & Canning Town.
- 1 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 2 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 3 West Ham's Kurt Zouma admits to kicking and slapping his cat
- 4 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 8 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 10 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
Jim assures us on his website that he promotes the East End of London. Just how he can do this by accepting a rural job is unclear.
Something tells me Jimmy boy has been ordered to keep up appearances for the few final months of this very beleaguered government.
Saunders Ness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs