Wot—no meat? Veggie in charge of Britain’s meat industry
Dear Ed, I THOUGHT the appointment of our Poplar & Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick as Minister for Food and Farming worth a mention. That is, of course, as long as the food does not include meat, as I am afraid to report that Jim is a vegetarian!
I THOUGHT the appointment of our Poplar & Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick as Minister for Food and Farming worth a mention. That is, of course, as long as the food does not include meat, as I am afraid to report that Jim is a vegetarian!
No cosy photo opportunities with the minister sampling 'the best of British meat,' then.
Just how this leaves British meat farmers feeling is not yet certain, although it again appears to be a misjudged shun by Labour to British farming industry.
You may also want to watch:
I suppose it's nothing to do with the fact that Labour hold few rural seats in the region, of course. Moving a veggie to the Department for Food is really like putting a member of CND in charge of Britain's nuclear deterrence.
As so many of his ministers have walked out on him, maybe the besieged Gordon Brown had no other option than to reach down to his inner city and the loyal member for Poplar & Canning Town.
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 8 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 9 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 10 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
Jim assures us on his website that he promotes the East End of London. Just how he can do this by accepting a rural job is unclear.
Something tells me Jimmy boy has been ordered to keep up appearances for the few final months of this very beleaguered government.
Saunders Ness Road, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs