York Hall stabbing at Bethnal Green: Police make third arrest
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the murder of Luther Edwards on the steps of Bethnal Green’s York Hall have made a third arrest.
A 26-year-old man was arrested “on suspicion of murder” this-morning, in Surrey.
He remains in custody in east London tonight, Scotland Yard confirmed.
Luther, who was 31, had been at a boxing match at York Hall three weeks ago and become involved in a brawl, during which he was attacked by several people as he left.
The fight spilled out into Old Ford Road and along the main Cambridge Heath Road.
You may also want to watch:
Luther made his way to the BP petrol station opposite, where he collapsed. Police and an ambulance arrived and found him on the forecourt with a stab wound.
He died an hour later at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. A post mortem at Poplar later found cause of death was from a single stab wound to the heart.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Two men aged 31 and 23 arrested earlier this month on suspicion of murder were bailed to return late September, pending further investigations.
Detectives are keeping an open mind about any motive. They are still appealing for witnesses who were at York Hall or outside in Old Ford Road and Cambridge Heath Road at around 10.30pm on July 29, or anyone with information, to call the incident room on 020-8345 3715, or anonymously Crimestoppers on 0800-555111, email crimestoppers-uk.org.