Young woman dies from severe airway burns following flat fire on Isle of Dogs
A young woman has died following a fire at a block of flats on the Isle of Dogs.
Sophie Rosser, 23, had been rescued while unconscious by firefighters tackling the fire, which gutted a fourth floor flat at Meridian Place, March Way, in the early hours of Sunday.
Medics from the Air Ambulance Team, who attended in a fast response vehicle, treated Ms Rosser, who suffered from cardiac arrest, and was taken by road to the Royal London Hospital, where she died later in the morning.
Two other people were also treated by medics, and up to four people were led to safety by firefighters.
A Met police spokesman said: “We were called at 0143hrs. Police officers, London Fire Brigade and London’s Air Ambulance attended and a woman was taken to the Royal London Hospital where she died later that morning.”
You may also want to watch:
It is understood the woman has been identified as Sophie Rosser, 23, of Tower Hamlets.
A post-mortem revealed she died from severe airway burns.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
An inquest into her death was today opened and adjourned at Poplar Coroners Court.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said they were called at 1.39am and that the fire was under control by 02.34am.
Resident Phil Mueller, who lives on the same floor directly opposite the gutted flat, said:
“I was still awake when I heard a fire engine screeching outside so went to my roof terrace. “I saw plumes of smoke, sparks and ember blowing across in the wind from the other side of the block. It was very scary and I thought I better get out.”
The 30-year-old office worker said 50 to 60 people from the block gathered in the street.
“Some had their pyjamas on and some had been handed heat jackets.”
A spokeswoman for London Ambulance said: “Our staff treated a patient who was in cardiac arrest. They also treated a person for burns and a patient taken unwell, both were taken to the same hospital.”
The fire is not being treated as suspicious but inquiries are ongoing into the circumstances, according to police.