Youngest ever member of City of London Corporation elected
A 20-year-old student has become the youngest member of the City of London Corporation in its 800-year history.
Politics student Ibthayhaj Shadique Gani won election to the City this month, and will be the first Bengali to take a seat on its ruling Court of Common Council in the coming weeks.
Known as Shadique, he grew up in the City’s Portsoken ward, on the borough boundary with Tower Hamlets in Aldgate.
He said: “My parents stood outside the polling station from 8am to 8pm.
“My mum was too nervous to move. They are very supportive of me. They have seen me move from my diaper days to me in a suit.”
You may also want to watch:
He campaigned for the Liberal Democrats in the Bethnal Green and Bow constituency in 2010 – but has since left the Party.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences