Youth theatre in Limehouse, backed by Helen Mirren, gets go-ahead for �300,000 refurbishment
A youth theatre in Limehouse, which has the backing of Wapping resident and actress Helen Mirren, has been given the go-ahead for a �300,000 refurbishment.
Half Moon Young People’s Theatre in White Horse Road will at the end of this month close its doors to the public for three months for renovation and refurbishment works.
The project was given the go-ahead by the organisation’s Board of Trustees earlier this month after 95 per cent of the funds required had been secured, mainly from charitable trusts and foundations.
The project aims to make the locally listed building, built in 1964, more welcoming and accessible with an enlarged foyer and entrance, improved public facilities and a new lift, improving access for our disabled users.
Half Moon’s director, Chris Elwell, said, “This a momentous occasion in Half Moon’s history as we embark on an exciting first phase of our re-development that will lead to improved facilities for our users and a more welcoming space for audiences and the general public.”
You may also want to watch:
With just a few thousand pounds left to go, the organisation is urging members of the public to support the campaign.
Dame Helen Mirren said: “Half Moon is a very special organisation providing a huge range of opportunities in drama and theatre for young people of all ages and abilities. Please join me in supporting the campaign to refurbish their theatre, ensuring they can continue this wonderful work.”
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
The theatre also hopes to raise �700,000 to restore the outside of the building.
To support the campaign visit www.halfmoon.org.uk or call 020 7709 8900.