Anne Keothavong knocked out of AEGON international
East London tennis star Anne Keothavong is out of the AEGON International singles event after a 6-4 6-2 defeat to Slovakia 's Daniela Hantuchova.
East London tennis star Anne Keothavong is out of the AEGON International singles event after a 6-4 6-2 defeat to Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova.
The first-round encounter lasted more than one hour and 45 minutes on Devonshire Park's Centre Court and Keothavong was frustrated that she did not get the rub of the green.
"I don't know what that umpire was thinking," said Anne, who was trailing Hantuchova 3-2 at the time.
"It's a shame - had I got that game to go 3-3 I'm still in it, who knows what could have happened."
You may also want to watch:
Despite the defeat, there were plenty of positives for Keothavong to take out of another tough early draw following last week's loss to world number 10 and eventual AEGON Classic champion Na Li.
"It was a tough battle for both of us, lots of close games," Keothavong said.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
"I definitely feel I'm playing a better level of tennis than maybe my ranking suggests.
"I'm in a good place, I'm injury free and that's the main thing and I'm looking forward to Wimbledon."
Keothavong is pairing up with Melanie South for the doubles event before returning to London to prepare for the Championships.