Another loss for London Raiders

PUBLISHED: 09:23 07 February 2016 | UPDATED: 09:23 07 February 2016

London Raiders forward Mason Webster fights for possession with Invicta's Josh Condren (pic: John Scott)

London Raiders forward Mason Webster fights for possession with Invicta's Josh Condren (pic: John Scott)


South East Cup: London Raiders 2 Invicta 7

Shortbenched London Raiders ended up well beaten by Invicta in a somewhat meaningless cup clash at Lee Valley last night.

Neither side had much but pride to play for, with Chelmsford already assured of top spot, and Dynamos took the bragging rights again as they claimed a sixth win in seven meetings with Raiders this season.

Former Raider Jacob Ranson had the first shot of note, that was turned aside by Ryan Bainborough.

And the visitors took the lead soon after when Callum Fowler tapped in a pass from Eriks Ozollapa.

Mason Webster forced Damien King into action, before Conor Redmond fired over for Dynamos.

And Raiders – who gave a second debut to Evander Grinell – were left on the penalty kill when little brother Rio Grinell-Parke was called for tripping.

Dynamos took advantage to double their lead on the powerplay through Steve Osman, before King kept out Marek Nahlik.

And the visitors saw Nicky Lewis and Adam McNicoll fire over, before King denied Nahlik twice more.

The second period began with Grinell-Parke and Invicta’s Jack Lee having shots saved at either end of the ice.

But play had to be stopped after Bainborough took a shot from Lewis to the head, before Michal Oravec and Elliot Dewey clashed and were both sent to the penalty box.

Grinell-Parke was thwarted again by King, before Raiders lost David Oliver to a hooking call in the 34th minute.

And Dynamos cashed in on the powerplay once more as Arran Strawson found a way past Bainborough, who was beaten for a fourth time less than two minutes later as Lewis fired into the top corner.

Seb Downing was denied by King after robbing Jarvis Mewett of the puck as Invicta took a 4-0 lead to the lockerroom.

And the final session was barely a minute old when Fowler teed up Osman for another powerplay strike after John Connolly had been binned for roughing up Josh Condren.

Ranson rubbed more salt into the wounds as he tapped in a loose puck, after Bainborough had half-stopped Fowler’s shot, and Oravec picked up a 10-minute misconduct penalty in the aftermath of the goal.

But Raiders ended King’s shutout hopes in the 45th minute as Mason Webster netted, only for Condren to restore the six-goal cushion less than four minutes later.

Raiders replaced Bainborough with Michael Gray for the final 10 minutes, while King made way for former Raiders goalie Glen Rodbourne to make his Dynamos debut with 9.17 left on the clock.

Webster was denied by the Invicta back-up, before setting up Downing to net a second goal for the home side.

But it was little consolation for Raiders, who have now gone 10 matches without a win and are set to visit league leaders Chelmsford tonight (Sunday, 6.30pm).

Raiders: Mason Webster 1+1 Seb Downing 1.

Dynamos: Steve Osman 2+1 Callum Fowler 1+2 Arran Strawson 1+1 Jacob Ranson 1+1 Nicky Lewis 1 Josh Condren 1 Eriks Ozollapa* 0+1 Elliott Dewey 0+1 Adam McNicoll 0+1.

Penalty minutes: Raiders 18 Dynamos 2.

Shots faced: Ryan Bainborough (L, 49.51) 11-10-9=30-7 Michael Gray (L, 10.09) 5-0 Damien King (I, 50.43) 12-11-10=33-1 Glen Rodbourne (I, 9.17) 7-1.

Latest from the East London Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists