Athletes close in on second straight promotion
VICTORIA Park & Tower Hamlets AC put themselves in line for a second successive promotion from the mens Southern League, when they won the penultimate meeting of this season s campaign, in emphatic style at Watford on Saturday, The East Enders finished wi
VICTORIA Park & Tower Hamlets AC put themselves in line for a second successive promotion from the mens Southern League, when they won the penultimate meeting of this season's campaign, in emphatic style at Watford on Saturday,
The East Enders finished with 145 points, well ahead of their second placed hosts Watford with 117, who, themselves, were 10 points better off that Worthing. A Royal Navy team and Croydon, completed the line-up.
Now VP&TH have their home meeting in the league to look forward to, to complete the season. They host the final round at Mile End Stadium on August 2.
VP&TH showed themselves to be very strong in the sprints with Toleme Ezekiel and Nathan Brown winning both strings of the 110m and Tunde Balogun and Abdul Buhari also completing a similiar double in the 200m.
You may also want to watch:
It was a similar story in the 400m, where Kylon Collins and Alex Babb both led from gun to tape to record another pair of victories.
The club were well represented in the longer distance races. Paul Martelletti and Dave Alcock were both impressive victors in the 5000m, while Tony McDowell ran a great 3000m steeplechase to claim his first victory of the season in the event.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 5 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 6 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 7 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
James Foley ran a season's best for third in the 800m, while Rob Birchley contributed a useful second in the B string.
Sam Sillah proved what an outstanding all-rounder he is for the club, winning four events and a second in the B string javelin and contributing 24 individual points for the cause - a remarkable achievement!
Marc Malone made it a B string double in the long and high jumps.
Baddar Echakhch made his first appearance in the pole vault, after just one training session and cleared 2. 60m in the B competition for second place. He also achieved a personal best for fourth in the hammer.
The 4x100m relay team, of Sillah, Brown, Ezekiel and Balogun, scored an easy victory, while the 4x400 team were just pipped for victory, Kylon Collins just edged out on the line.