Search

Farah focused on being ready for delayed Tokyo Olympics

PUBLISHED: 15:58 03 April 2020 | UPDATED: 15:58 03 April 2020

Great Britain's Mo Farah

Great Britain's Mo Farah

PA Wire/PA Images

Sir Mo Farah is not allowing himself to worry about the cancellation of the Olympics and insists he will be prepared to race in Tokyo next year.

The Games, scheduled for this summer, were postponed last week due to the coronavirus pandemic and will now be held from July 23-August 8, 2021.

That delay could cause concerns for athletes in terms of preparation but four-time Olympic gold medallist Farah says they have to now look forward and believes it was the right decision.

Speaking on TalkSPORT, Farah said: “The Olympics was about the last thing to get cancelled. In a way obviously it’s disappointing it has been cancelled, but I am glad it has been cancelled.

“In a way we could have been in a far worse situation, there are no races leading up to it, athletes can’t test themselves.

“I would probably need about six, seven, eight races beforehand to see what kind of shape I am in. It is what it is and it gives us another year of preparation.

“At the moment, nobody is thinking about that. I am still running every day, just trying to get through this crisis time.

You may also want to watch:

“It is not just sport, it is affecting everything we do. It is a difficult situation for everyone and particularly for the older people, the more vulnerable.

“We just have to stay together, stay strong. We just have to get through this. It is a test for everywhere in the world and it is growing.”

Farah, who won gold in both the 5,000m and 10,000m at each of the last two Olympics, will be 38 by the time the rearranged Games take place.

But he is insists that is not on his mind, adding: “I am not thinking about age or anything I am just thinking about what I need to do.

“You just have to deal with it when it comes. There is nothing we can do as athletes, just think about the next year and focus on that.

“Obviously it is disappointing and for athletes who might be thinking ‘this is my only time’. Every athlete wants to go there and they don’t just want to go there, they want to go there in the best possible shape.

“There are a lot of athletes in great shape who were expecting to do well.

“At the same time, we can’t change that. It is what it is, it’s not just me, it’s athletes all around the world.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News

13:00

Leyton Orient captain Jobi McAnuff has backed English Football League chairman Rick Parry’s combative letter to the Government and revealed the toll on players caused by the continued absence of fans from matches.

Yesterday, 16:00

London Lions have added Great Britain centre Fahro Alihodzic to their roster as they approach the start of the domestic season and look to January’s FIBA Eurocup campaign.

Yesterday, 15:00

A programme to get more youngsters involved in outdoor sport is being started at Mile End stadium in the search for “the hockey stars of tomorrow”.

Yesterday, 13:00

West Ham United fan and budding journalist Kwame Boakye is feeling optimistic under manager David Moyes.

Yesterday, 10:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton was ‘disappointed’ that his side failed to push on after early lead as they drew 1-1 with Exeter City.

Tue, 20:55

League Two: Leyton Orient 1 Exeter City 1

Tue, 14:00

Lukasz Fabianski 7: Huge save to deny Raheem Sterling late on. Went right way and almost stopped Phil Foden’s goal.

Mon, 13:00

Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton knows they’re not the finished article yet but is way more pleased with progress after their 2-0 victory over Stevenage.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Did you know? UCAS gets almost 3 million university applications from around 700,000 people each year. That’s a lot of competition. So how can your son or daughter stand out? 

With winter fast approaching, it is now more important than ever for us all to carry on following COVID-19 precautions to help stop the spread of the virus by always observing the three-tier local restrictions and remembering three key words – Hands, Face, Space.

The NHS COVID-19 app can make a real difference to how we all tackle the pandemic, protecting our loved ones and those most at risk from coronavirus. Everyone aged 16 and over across England and Wales can download the app for free and play their part in combating the pandemic.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser