Barker makes his third defence
Darren Barker is confident he will embark on a path to world title glory by overcoming Darren McDermott in the third defence of his Commonwealth title
Darren Barker is confident he will embark on a path to world title glory by overcoming Darren McDermott in the third defence of his Commonwealth middleweight title on Saturday night.
The Hennessy Sports show at Watford Coliseum will be shown live on ITV4, giving fight fans another chance to see one of Britain's most exciting talents.
Former Repton star Barker, who is now based at the Hainault gym of TBS promotions trainer Tony Sims, remains undefeated in a 19-fight professional campaign that saw him lift the Commonwealth title in November 2007.
Barker has since defended his crown against Steven Bendall and Jason McKay and a third successful defence against McDermott will guarantee a British title fight against Matthew Macklin.
You may also want to watch:
And former Commonwealth Games gold medallist Barker believes lifting the British crown will then allow him to challenge for world honours.
"First things first, I've got two potentially dangerous domestic fights to take care of before I can leave the British scene behind," Barker said.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
The chief support bout in Watford sees East London hope George Hillyard face Matthew Thirlwall in a 10-round contest between hard-hitting rivals.
Tickets are available from the Ticketline box office on 0844 888 4402 or via www.ticketline.co.uk.