Batten hosts Eastman event
Former British light-middleweight champion Jimmy Batten will present a tribute night for stricken boxer Gilbert Eastman in Aldgate
Former British light-middleweight champion Jimmy Batten, from Millwall, will present a tribute night for former boxer Gilbert Eastman at The Three Lords pub, Minories, Aldgate next week.
Batten is organising the event on Wednesday night for Eastman, the younger brother of former European and British middleweight champion Howard Eastman, who twice unsuccessfully challenged for the world title.
The younger Eastman, also a middleweight, underwent emergency surgery after collapsing following a fight at York Hall last October.
The 35-year-old, who also held a day job as a London bus driver, was floored and stopped in the dying seconds of his eight-round encounter against Bermondsey's Sam Webb.
You may also want to watch:
Eastman was examined by the ringside doctor after the fight, but later collapsed suddenly in his dressing room and was rushed to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, where he underwent life-saving brain surgery.
Batten, now a popular entertainer on the East London pub circuit, will act as host at the tribute evening, which will include a celebrity auction, a raffle, karaoke and cabaret.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
The event is due to start at 6pm. Further information is available from The Three Lords on 0207 481 4249 or from Jimmy Batten on 07956 570533.