Begum qualifies for British Juniors
- Credit: Archant
Tower Hamlets weightlifter shines
Taslima Begum produced a superb display of weightlifting to qualify for the British Junior Championships recently.
The Turin Street-based Bethnal Green club hosted a competition and Begum, a member of the Oakland’s club, who has been trained and mentored by Tower Hamlets Youth Sport Foundation staff, was entered as the youngest lifter on the day.
Begum needed a sum total of 90kg from her best snatch and clean & jerk lifts to qualify in the under-48kg bodyweight category and nailed her first lift of 40kg in the snatch element, despite showing some nerves.
Stepping up to a 45kg lift, Begum pulled the weight quickly overhead, but she was fighting to maintain her balance while trying to stand.
You may also want to watch:
And it proved too much as she dropped the bar for a no-lift, before also failing with her third attempt.
After calming her nerves, Begum was in a better frame of mind for the clean & jerk competition and lifted 50kg with few alarms.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Another good, determined effort saw her achieve a 54kg lift and, although Begum was unable to claim a new personal best at 58kg with her final lift, she had done enough for a 94kg total.
Coach and weightlifting development officer Rich Kite said: “Although nerves may have gotten the better of her, Taslima was still triumphant in succeeding with her goal. I’m excited to see her performance in competitions develop and her confidence grow.”
Begum will compete for Tower Hamlets at the London Youth Games finals at Crystal Palace on July 5, before returning to the same venue for the British Juniors later this year.