Bethanl Green teenager selected for karate World Championships
- Credit: Archant
A 14-year-old from Bethnal Green has been selected to represent England at the junior and cadet karate World Championships, writes Jacob Ranson.
Taylor O’Brien was picked to represent the nation’s cadet girl’s 14 to 15 year old 47 kilogram weight class after impressing at the selection camp earlier this month.
O’Brien has been attending England training sessions for the past three years and after turning 14 she was finally old enough to battle for a place in the games that take place in Tenerife next month (October 26 to 29).
The Uechi-Ryu Karate club member trains under sensei Terry Daly, who is preparing her for the world championships, along with Sensei Raphael Veras from the Veras academy who she also trains with every week.
Mum Lisa O’Brien said: “Tayla is over the moon as her ambition has always been to fight for England,
You may also want to watch:
“We are all very proud of her and want to wish her the best of luck.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom