Bethnal Green teenager bags gold at Karate Championships
- Credit: Archant
A 14-year-old from Bethnal Green enjoys success at the 21st annual Open Central England Karate Championships this weekend.
Tayla O’Brien was smiling after landing a gold medal in the 13 to 15 year old kata category, as she won all five of her rounds against girls from across the UK to take home the top prize at the event in Worcester.
The Uechi Ruy Karate club member also took part in the girls’ kumite 14 to 15 year old minus 54kg category for the first-ever time.
O’Brien managed to win her two rounds before crashing out of the category without a medal.
Mum Lisa O’Brien said: “We’re always proud of her, she does really well.
You may also want to watch:
“She has been British champion, English champion and she now fights abroad in France and Belgium.
“She hasn’t long been 14 and it was quite a high weight for her as she is about 40kg, so we’re proud of how she got on.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel